Why Weights are better than Cardio

WeightsBetterthanCardio

Why Weights are better than Cardio

Okay, so maybe we’re slightly biased but we have our reasons (see below). However, we will say this “any exercise is better than none” so if you love running, Pilates, playing basketball, etc and that’s what gets you out the house and being active, that’s fantastic!

On the other hand, if you’re currently on the search for a workout that will make you strong, rev up your metabolism, give you more energy, boost your self-esteem and – with the right diet – help you lose weight more effectively than cardio alone, it’s time to start lifting!

Rev up your metabolism

The rate at which your body uses up kilojoules (or energy) to carry out vital metabolism functions is called the metabolic rate. Around 5-10% of your energy is used to eat, digest and metabolise food. Another 20% goes to burning kilojoules during physical activity (if you are a normally-active person). The remaining 50–80% is the amount of energy used while you are at rest. This is known as your basal metabolic rate or BMR. The faster your BMR is, the more efficiently your body burns up kilojoules.

Exercise increases the amount of muscle you have — and the more muscle you have, the faster your BMR will be. Exercise will generally help increase muscle. Studies show strength weight training builds muscle more effectively and increases BMR.

Give you more energy

Strength training boosts energy levels and improves your mood by elevating your level of endorphins (the feel-good brain chemical). It’s also been shown to help you sleep better and improve your overall quality of life.

Boost your self-esteem

Firstly, lifting weights makes you stronger and feeling strong is empowering! Secondly, when our ladies set weight lifting goals and reach them, the sense of achievement is overwhelming. Lastly, people who lift weights look good. And, let’s face it: looking good helps boost the self-esteem to no end!

Help you lose weight

A US study cited in The Women’s Health Big Book of Exercises found that by lifting weights people lost 40% more fat than by dieting alone, or by dieting and just doing cardio. FORTY PER CENT – WE LIKE THOSE ODDS!

ChicksLift is a women-only strength program, exclusive to Pinnacle Health Clubs. To register your interest and get your first session free, register here.

 

Source: http://www.bupa.com.au/health-and-wellness/health-information/az-health-information/exercise-and-metabolism